Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 17-How Many Thermal Mugs Do You Really Need

We all know that I might have a longstanding love affair with coffee. We go way back coffee and I. Back to nursing school. Back to working the night shift. We had a break up for a while because of that whole birthin’ babies thing but we reconnected and have been together ever since.

And over the years we have collected a vast number of these.

Day 17A

Thermal coffee mugs.

You know how it is. You go on a trip, you forget to bring your favorite mug, you need coffee, you buy another mug.

Or you get a mug as a “thank you” for something. Or as a promotional gift.

Or they just breed in the cupboard like rabbits.

These are such useful little suckers. So, so useful. In the morning, after the elixir is done brewing and is all hot and lovely and fragrant they keep it just that way for much longer than a regular coffee mug might.

They have been exclusively dedicated to the holding of coffee and they have taken their job seriously. I have other thermal mugs dedicated just to hot tea. You cannot make tea in a thermal coffee mug due to the imprinted coffee memory that the mugs carry. The tea will always taste faintly of coffee.

And to quote Gollum, “Not very nice indeed”

We love our coffee mugs but we have too many of them. This is but a portion of the mugs that are taking that eternal walk out to the garage for reassignment to another person. I have culled all the ones that are missing a top and those that do not fit in the cup holders of either Coco (my car) or Fonzi (HHBL’s car). It is essential for the coffee mug to fit properly in the car.

We have walked a long way together but now it is time to say goodbye. We have kept back two thermal mugs a piece.

I think that will be plenty.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this one made me feel very, very good. And self-righteous, to boot. I'm already ahead of you on this one. Nary a plastic insulated mug in the house. A couple (still useful) stainless steel. But no plastic.

    Boy, do I feel self-righteous.
    *smug smile* (until I remembered that pride goeth before a fall)
    roflol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious, because I recently went through the same exact debate with myself and Linda. We had dozens of them and I think we cut it to about 5 or 6 mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "taking that eternal walk out to the garage"
    *snort*

    We got rid of the thermal ones a few years ago, but only because we have so many other ones that are stainless steel, etc. When they're all clean, they won't all fit in the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.