Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 8–Teddy Bear Picnic

Well, I missed posting on Monday. Worry not that I missed a day of clean out. LookLeap and I spent 3+ hours cleaning out and expanding in the garden. I was just beat.

Now back to the clean-up.

Day 8A

I have long been a collector of teddy bears. It all seemed to start with the fact that I attended a university that had a bear for it’s mascot.

AAAAAAAAAAAA SIC’EM BEARS!

Sorry, that only means something if you are a Baylor grad.

And there might also have been the fact that as a child I played the song “Teddy Bear’s Picnic” over and over and over and over again. Mimi was probably sick of it.

The bear population that followed me around seemed to grow and grow as the years went by. I was running my very own bear shelter. Big, small, stuffed, china. The collection grew and grew and grew.

And then I got married. And the collection came with us when we moved to The Frozen Northeast Ohio. And they lived on our bed. And they reclined on the couch. And they took up surfaces and gathered dust.

One day HHBL looked at me and said….

Don’t you think that you might have too many bears? It has come to the point where it is them or me.

No I don’t thank you very much! I love you but I love the bears too.

I would like you to reconsider the bear population. They are eating us out of house and home!

He might not have been that stern but the intent was clear. And I looked around and decided that maybe he had a point. So I cleaned out half the bears and gave them to someone who was excited to have them come into her home.

But that didn’t mean that I didn’t continue to collect bears. No, I still brought some into Chez Knit, not as many but they still came. There was Parker, who I picked up from the side of the road. There was ZhaZha who is made of mink. There was Kirkwall who decided to come home with me after I met him in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, UK.

Now has come the time to clean out some bears. I have kept all that decided to leave their home countries and come to live with me after various travels. I have kept bears that have a personal meaning to me. But that left a box of bears that are ready to go to a new home. They are all excited to find new owners who will love them and give them hugs and kisses and cookies and take them on picnics.

Bears are like that.

1 comment:

  1. I did a closet this weekend! Took three boxes of stuff + a roll of old posters/prints to the church bazaar on Monday. It felt GOOD. I forgot to take a picture, though. Today I'm trying to clear out books and it is breaking my heart. This is the hardest part for me. I probably have 4-5 feet of shelf space taken up with picture books that I'm saving for "when i have grandkids." You'd think I could pare it down.

    OK. I'm off to be TOUGH. RUTHLESS. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.