Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 9–Not Sure What I Was Thinking

Today’s item isn’t all that big by itself. But it represents one of those forks in a person’s life road that they should have put more thought into before blithely taking.

First the picture

Day 9A

What seems like many a year ago, but was really only around 2003, I discovered the world of scrapbooking. And yes, it really is an entire world. If you are not a “scrapbooker” you won’t really get that. It can be all consuming.

And I was a total and complete newbie. I hadn’t ever made a scrapbook. I hadn’t even really seen one. All I did was ask a friend, who happened to be a Creative Memories consultant, what scrapbooking was.

And in no time I was somehow signed up to be a consultant. It was around the time that Shoe Queen went off to Jr. Hi, I finished up at a job that I had held for 6 years and loved and I was looking for something to fill that hole. And I thought this might be it. HHBL knew it wasn’t and he questioned my starting this but I was all Damn the money spent! Full Speed Ahead!

But I was wrong. I am so not made to be a consultant. Not that there is anything wrong with being a Creative Memories consultant. It is just that I was so not good at it. I did not have what it takes to sell people stuff. Or at least sell enough stuff to make my quarterly minimums without having to make up the difference myself. When you have to make up the difference your self at first it doesn’t seem like a problem because you might not have all that many scrapping supplies yourself. But after a while you end up with a lot of paper and stickers and tools that you might use….in about 100 years of scrapping.

And then there are the bags that you think you need to carry the scrapping stuff to other peoples houses where you all spread it all out and cut paper and talk scrapping and look at pictures and secretly think that everyone else is doing it “better” than you and…..

Never mind.

I have cleaned out my scrapping area several times. Have given away some of the stuff. And this bag represents the next round of clean out.

But there is still so much. I keep reminding myself that I will never have to buy another piece of paper EVER. So if you see me in the scrap book section at Michaels make sure you tell me to step away from the paper.

BarbN – continue to be RUTHLESS! I feel your pain about cleaning out books. It is one of the most difficult things that I ever have to do. Books are my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, the paper makes a fantastic back drop or "table cloth" for some food photos. I have two (ok, maybe 4) scrapbooks. The main one chronicles Sophie's adoption journey so when she's an adult she can read about the parts that we haven't told her; the people without whose help our family wouldn't be, etc. I feel your pain on the scrapbooking "stuff" though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.