Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 2–No I Am Not Keeping This

Oh the things that I seem to want to cling to even though I know I am never going to use them again!

I am sure that you will read that phrase more than once over the coming 100 days.

Day 2A

I bet my mother, Mimi, could tell you what this is and where it came from. This is a canister, minus the top, that I used to have sitting on my counter. It is part of a set of three canisters that I purchased from The Dollar Store back when that store was actually a fun place to shop. When you never knew what you might find on any given day and they weren’t trying to be a cheaper (and poorer) imitation of Wally Mart.  I had flour in the biggest one. I had sugar in this one. And I had salt in the smallest one.

Then we tried to sell Chez Knit. Joyce the Stager walked around the house, took one look at the canisters and said….. Well those will have to be packed away right now. They don’t go at all with the look that I am trying to achieve.

And of course, at that point in the process, I did what Joyce commanded. I did it with more than one grumble. I needed those! They held my flour and sugar and salt. I do a lot of baking. I needed them right in front of me. But I put the flour and sugar and salt in plastic containers with tight fitting lids and stored them in the pantry, out of sight. And I wrapped up the canisters and packed them away in a box, mourning their absence on my counter and fully intending to unpack them and refill them the moment the first chance arose.

And then a funny thing happened on the way to not selling the house.

I found that I liked having less things on the counter. And I found that I liked having the baking supplies stored in the pantry. An organized pantry points to an organized mind. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

And so, I have decided that the canisters have served their useful purpose and are ready to go to a new home. In fact they are already on their way.

They told me they were very excited about the new opportunity.

6 comments:

  1. I remember when we went through the house we now live in. They must have had a stager too because I was unimpressed with how sterile the place looked. From what I've seen, your place is cool. You don't need a stager. It looks warm, comfortable and inviting. Those are/were beautiful.

    (I like my sugar and flour on the counter, right where I can reach them easily.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me . . . therefore I am proceeding on the long-awaited slide scanning project. Box #3 completed - only 142 more carousels of 35mm slides to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go Dad! I can hardly wait to see some more of the pictures. I could do an entire year of "Pictures From The Crypt" with some of the pictures I have already seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for including the name thing...my bad. Debbie's Dad...if you could pass along your inspiration and motivation in this area to my dad, it would be much appreciated. He probably has as many carousels as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I said i wasn't doing this until January, but I was reminded today that our church bazaar is in two weeks, and they need "gently used" items. So I'm going to join you for the next couple of days and see how much stuff I can jettison. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.