Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 3–How Many Clothes Do I Really Need?

Bag of Clothes 1

A bag of clothes. I thought to take a picture of each piece of clothing but then I got ahold of myself.

I know, a bag of clothes. Whoopie Do.  Deb don’t you have something more exciting to show us.

No I don’t.

OK, yes I do but not for today. And let me tell you, getting rid of clothes is a major thing for me, or at least it was in the past.

When HHBL and I got married I had A LOT of clothes. That poor boy got the very short end of the stick when it came to closet space. I got most of it and I didn’t even think twice about it. I had clothes for winter. I had clothes for summer. I had clothes for those in between times. When a different season rolled around it was a big thing to switch out the clothes.

And then I got pregnant and so we had to add MORE clothes to the already bulging closets.

My question to myself now is, how did I manage to wear that many different pieces of clothing? And how did I manage to amass them in the first place?

I have been cleaning out clothing for a long time now. And yet I can still manage to find enough things that I haven’t worn that I can donate a bag of clothing about 4 times a year. My usual rule is if I haven’t worn it within a full year then I most likely am not going to wear it so why should I keep it. That rule doesn’t cover everything but for the mundane every day things it certainly does. And since I have been about the same “size” for the last few years I don’t have “fat” clothes and “thin” clothes. I just have “Deb” clothes.

I live my life in jeans or shorts most of the time. I own some skirts. I own a dress or two for those times when I have to actually look nice. I get my shirts from Target. I get my jeans from the thrift store. I wear clogs. I knit my own socks.

I am MOTHER EARTH!

And most of the time…I don’t even have any makeup on. GASP!!

And so, the bag goes into the pile that is waiting for Volunteers of America to come and pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.