Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 6–It’s Mine Mine Mine!

Let me tell you the tale of the plastic laundry baskets.

Day 6A

Once, many a year ago I had a whole bunch of these. Laundry baskets both small and large. And they were useful, oh so useful.

Top-276 (rev 0)

When we lived in this house, long  ago, there was a laundry chute that went from the second floor to the basement laundry area with a small door, mid way down the chute, that opened onto the 1st floor powder room. Here is not the time to tell the tale of what was thrown down the laundry shoot (cough, cough…the cat). Just know that the progeny were instructed to throw their dirty clothes, minus the cat, down the laundry chute. When the clothes were then washed, by moi, and folded, by moi, then they would be carried upstairs to each progeny in their own basket.

But now I do not have a laundry chute.

Nor do I have any progeny who live at home full time.

And I stopped doing their laundry when they each reached the 6th grade. I taught them how to do their OWN laundry.

And yet I still have the baskets.

When we were cleaning out the first time in preparation for trying to sell Chez Knit I had put the baskets out in the garage with a whole bunch of other stuff that was being donated. I put them there with some reluctance. I didn’t use them but we had walked the long road of having girls who produced a lot of laundry. We were bonded over the washing machine. But they were out there and I was OK with it.

And then LookLeap came over one day saw the baskets and asked, Are you getting rid of those cuz if you are then I might want them.

Immediately a light shone down on the baskets and they became as precious gold to me. I clutched them to my ample bosom and ran back into the house yelling…

NO! I am NOT getting rid of these. I NEED them. They are mine mine mine.

Well it might not have been that dramatic but I did say I wasn’t getting rid of them. I was like a small child with a toy that she didn’t really want or need but who, when confronted with someone else who wanted to use that toy, suddenly decided that it was something she just couldn’t give up.

I took those baskets back in the house. I put them back in the laundry room above the cabinets. And I didn’t even use them once in the year and a half since that conversation.

They are going to reside at LookLeap’s house down the road. A place where they should have been already if I wasn’t such a hoarding child.  They will be used. They will be happy. And I can come and visit occasionally.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god I FORGOT that we threw Zachary down the laundry chute! Poor kitty...It's a miracle that he was as forgiving as he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making progress. Slow, but progress. Maybe I will send you a picture. I cleared off my plant shelf yesterday, which now looks naked, but I'll get used to it. There's still some stuff there, but not as much. I fear to start on closets. But I must. I think I must also get rid of at least two laundry baskets, but I still use four of them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know - your laundry baskets are very, very happy over here. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.