Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Begin As I Mean To Go On

It all began with a single statement.

I have too much stuff.

There, I said it.

And to be perfectly honest I have to think that I am not the only one with this problem. And the really scary part about all this is that I am not sure how we managed to accumulate all this mathom (name that book reference!). It has slowly grown over years and years. Quietly increasing in basement and cupboard.  Things once used but needed no more.  Wedding gifts that have seldom seen the light of day (and we have been married for 26 years!) Boxes of papers and pictures from kids. Boxes of things related to hobbies that were taken up with vigor and left in the wake of new hobbies and interests. 7 hammers for the love of Pete!

A bit of background is in order I think. If you have arrived from Stop Her She’s Knitting then you know that a year or so ago HHBL and I went through the process of trying to sell Chez Knit. We were unsuccessful. And during that time I cleaned out a BUNCH of stuff. And yet, there is still more. I am convinced that it is breeding in the dark recesses of the basement. And in the kitchen cupboards. And in my office. One of these days we are going to be successful at selling the old homestead and when we do that and move to a smaller house….

I don’t want to move anything that isn’t absolutely necessary.

Believe me when I say that the phrase “absolutely necessary” does not cover all that much stuff. Think about it, what do you really need to live your daily life? What can you absolutely not do without?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

So, since I have to do this I thought I would have you follow along. This is how I think it is going to work. I am going to post Monday thru Friday. 100 days of cleaning out. One or two pictures and story a day. And after that we will see.

But I want you to participate. I want you to comment. I want you to tell me what you are inspired to clean out, to donate. Let’s do this together.

Ready?

See you in a bit with the first item.

I can hardly wait.

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh crud. You want people to clean out with you. I was going to ask if I could have the stuff you're getting rid of. :) If it is nice stuff for food styling, I'd be happy to be a donee. Since we don't have much and there isn't anything coming in, I won't join in, but I will follow along with curiosity, encouragement and support.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.