Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 25-The Linen Edition

Towels. Sheets. Blankets. Lap throws.

You name it we probably have had it spilling out of our overflowing linen closets. There was a time, in the not too distant past, when I felt that I really needed to have two sets of sheets for each bed in the house. That way when I took sheets off the bed to wash I could put the other set of sheets on.

I was especially bad about the sheets for our bed. I will admit that we had more than two sets of sheets. WAY more than two sets. And you also have to know that in the winter time we use flannel sheets. So there were sets of linen sheets and sets of flannel sheets. And then HHBL and I got a new mattress and box springs this year. And it is one of those lovely, cushy pillow top deals that are really deep. And that meant that none of our sheets fit the bed. I had to make a decision at that point. It just didn’t seem to be a good economic idea to go out and buy more than one new set of sheets for the bed. I would just have to wash and remake the bed all on the same day. Horrors! But it really wasn’t horrors. It worked very well. And I also bought only one set of flannel sheets. And I am good with that.

We have more than our fair share of bedrooms. And that has meant that we had more than our fair share of sheets of various patterns and shapes and ages. Regular twin bed sheets. Those dang extra long twin bed sheets that colleges curse us with. Full size sheets. Whatever. When we put Chez Knit on the market in that not very successful attempt to sell I went through the linen closets (yes I have two) and purged somewhat. But not enough. No not enough.

Day 25E

These are just a representation of the sheets that are being culled. And there are also a bunch of “single” pillow cases that don’t seem to have any sheet sets that they belong to.

Day 25B

There are also towels in the box. These are towels that were used by the progeny. And I would like them to answer something for me.

Day 25A

What in the world did you guys use that turned a portion of the towels a lovely pink color. Big splotches of pinky color all over. Actually I think it was something that bleached the color of the towels.

Every one of them.

So I have decided to give them their walking papers. When the house was on the market Joyce the Stager said I had to buy some nicer towels for show. Heaven forbid that we would use these towels. So I do have some towels to use in that bathroom.

Progeny please do not stain the new towels when you come home to visit.

Day 25D

And I am not just cleaning out bedroom linens. I am also going through my larger than it should be collection of table linens. Out go the table cloths that we never use and that I won’t ever use. Say goodbye to the cloth napkins with a color that I loathe. There are also some placemats but I just didn’t take a picture of them.

Day 25C

Placemats?!? Mmmmmm, I love placemats. I love the crumbs on placemats. I love to pull them off the table and lick and lick and lick them until they are clean for you Alpha Male.

I am always looking for ways to help you Alpha Male.

I am a good dog.

Day 25F

And then there is the story about the duvet cover. And the duvet that went with it.

Are you surprised that there is a story? How long have you been hanging around here. There is ALWAYS a story.

Many a year ago Abuela (my mother-in-law) decided that what she wanted to buy for all of us for Christmas were duvets for our beds. Perhaps we looked cold? They have a duvet and felt that we would benefit from the same. Okee dokee but I wasn’t too excited about it.  And then we needed to get duvet covers for them. For some inexplicable reason I picked this monstrosity. A duvet is, in and of it self, a really warm blanket often stuffed with down of some sort. And to add this thermal cover to the duvet just meant that I felt like I was weighed down by something that was giving off enough energy and heat to power a small city. And I wasn’t even close to menopause at that point in life. But I sure felt like it!

The duvet didn’t last long. In fact I think it is now on Shoe Queen’s bed. But this duvet cover has been stored up in the closet for about 8 years. And so I will say……

Bye Bye.

2 comments:

  1. No! No! Not the extra sheets!
    And surely not any pillow cases embroidered by your grandmother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, lordy, I was feeling smug and complacent until you got to table linens. I have shelves of table linens, which I apparently MUST keep on hand in case I need them, but I NEVER USE THEM. Must re-think this strategy.

    hey-- the pinky spots are caused by acne meds (benzoyl peroxide). Every teenager's towel in the US probably has them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. And I want to know if you have been inspired to clean out and if so what is going out the door never to return. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you are doing.